“Brother Warren, do you allow your family to eat food without asking the Lord to bless it?” the elder asked.

“What little we got here ain’t worth bothering the Lord about,” Brother Warren answered, going right on with the meal.

Now the proper thing, if Brother Warren had manifested the right spirit, would have been to acknowledge the correction, apologize, and say a tardy grace.  Since he did not, and did not seem to accept them in the proper spirit, the visitors soon left.

A few nights later, just as he was ready for bed, Brother Warren was surprised by a knock at the door.  He himself answered it, lifting the latch and opening the door to greet five armed masked men.

“Come right on out here without any fuss,” the leader told him in a deep muffled voice.  Two of the men instantly took his arms, pantless and shoeless as he was, two stepped behind him, and they followed the leader around the house, down the walk, past the corrals, down the road toward the fields, all the way in utter silence.  Arriving at last at his own watermelon patch, Brother Warren stood between his guards while one of the men in the rear, taking plenty of time, thumped one melon after another until he found one to his satisfaction.  Then drawing a long blade form its sheath, he sliced it open with a cracking stroke.  All the group kneeled around it.

“Brother Warren, will you please ask the blessing on the food?” the leader asked.  Brother Warren’s tongue was loosed so that he offered a long and eloquent prayer, asking God to bless the food that it would nourish their bodies and brighten their minds and warm their hearts, that they might have his Spirit which was the spirit of love and forgiveness, to accompany them, that they might ALL henceforth spend their full strength in carrying on His work.

The melon was sliced and served around to them all. When it was finished, the visitors escorted Brother Warren back to his door, opened it, and saw his safely inside, without another word being spoken.  (Juanita Brooks, “John Doyle Lee” page 191)

While in Springville, Charles and Laura began their family.  Their first born was Laura Angelina Warren.  She was born February 3, 1859. (3)   She was about 3 when the family moved to Spanish Fork. Utah where she grew up.  She married Anders Christian Holm, who was born in Denmark.  Laura and Anders had 12 children.  They lived in Spanish Fork much of the time in a small house in the river bottoms.  She died March 28, 1916 in Spanish Fork.

Charles Wesley Warren and Laura Ann Warren’s second child, also born in Springville was Charles Henry Warren.  He was born April 21,1860 and died October 1, 1863 in Springville. (3)

The Warren’s third child was also born in Springville.  Alonzo Zenos Warren was born July 29, 1861. (4)  He was a baby when the family moved to Spanish Fork.  In later years, when asked where the Warren home in Springville was, he replied that it was the first house on the left after crossing the tracks going south on the main road in Springville.  Alonzo married Francess Ellen Standley.  Francess had been born in England.   They had five children in Spanish Fork and one child, their last, in Lovell, Wyoming.  The church had asked them to help settle the Big Horn Basin in northern Wyoming.  While in Spanish Fork, they also lived in the river bottoms near Laura and Anders Holm.  Alonzo died in Spanish Fork May 10, 1942. (4)

Eveline Eugene Warren was born  November 9, 1862.  She was Charles and Laura’s fourth child but the first to be born in Spanish Fork.  She died February 3, 1863 when only 3 months old. (5)


Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Subscribe to RSS feed