On May 23, 1892, Mrs. T. A. Marley (or Morley) wrote from Monroe, Utah to Gov. R.K. Colcord on behalf of her son, Ormus. (Addendum 5)

“In July 1892, O.B. Nay and Frank Hawley wrote to the Board of pardons, giving ‘a brief statement of our reasons for requesting executive clemency. . . We have been here nine years and five months and our term would expire in January 1893.’  They said, ‘We were both badly wounded and crippled at the time of our capture, and are now as a result of said wound incapacitated from performing heavy manual labor.’  They continued that they had earned all credits allowed for good behavior and they asked to be released during warm weather so they could obtain employment to earn money to return to their homes before winter weather began.  If they were released in winter, they would lack money to get comfortable clothing or to return home.” (35)

On January 2, 1893 Ormus was finally released. (36) The family was reunited, and in the next few years we can follow their travels again by paying attention to the births of their children; two more sons are born to Ormus and Louisa while in Circleville, Piute, Utah.  Chauncy Leon Nay was born on 5 May 1895, and Ora Bertrum Nay was born 17 August, 1897. (37) On April 30, 1898 Ormus was rebaptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to the Circleville Ward records. (38) A possible reason for them moving to Circleville was that their oldest son Ormus Calvin and his wife Sarah Melinda Allen were living there at the time.

Ormus found himself useful, even with the permanent handicap because of the injury he received. A history of Circleville records: “That summer pink granite stone was quarried up Kingston Canyon and hauled to Circleville by teams; each man donating his time and labor.  The rocks were piled on the southeast lot of the Church Block reserved for the Ward House…For some reason these stones were never used in a church building… Perhaps the construction would have been more expensive than the people could or would support.  Just after the turn of the century, the school district bought the pink granite stones from the church and built the two-story rock building completed in 1902.” (39) In an oral interview with Edyth Sevy, of St. George, Utah, she shared the following: “Mama [Ormus Bates Nay's niece] was telling about him building the schoolhouse in Circleville.  He was so strong, he took those big old blocks, put them on his shoulder and went up the ladder with them.” (40)

During the time of the construction of the schoolhouse, the family apparently moved to Nevada, taking up residence for a time at the Nay ranch, a desert oasis with an ice cold natural spring near Bunkerville, Nevada. This is according to information from the obituary of their son Chauncey. (41) That may explain why their names are not found on the 1900 Federal Census records for either Utah or Nevada.

In January of 1906, there is a listing in a Nevada historical index that states: “O.B. Nay has some assays ranging from $59.00 to $156.00 in gold, silver, and copper; taken from his property near Ivanpah.” (Ivanpah is near Nipton, California.) (42) This tells us that Ormus was still practicing the mining profession. Another record found of the family in 1906 is in the Virgin Ward records, noting that Louisa Ann Earl moved from Virgin to St. George. (43) This information lines up with another history written by Doris E. Nay Whitney, his granddaughter, that reads, “We stayed with our grandparents [Ormus Bates and Louisa Ann] in Washington, Utah when we were sealed in the St. George temple.” (44) The date of that sealing is May 8, 1907. (45) (Washington is a city just a few miles east of St. George.)


Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Subscribe to RSS feed