Myron was able to attend school in Pine Valley where he learned to read. He later taught himself to write by picking out letters from the newspaper and copying them. As a young boy he learned to work by herding cows and helping his father, John make wooden shingles by hand. These shingles were used on the old LDS church in Pine Valley. Myron’s father also engaged in cabinet building. Myron was a large boy and was able to work at a young age at a sawmill with his father. Many of the pine trees that Pine Valley was noted for were used in helping to build the St. George Temple, Brigham Young’s summer home, the pillars in the Salt Lake Tabernacle and the pipes for the Tabernacle organ.9

For clothing, Myron’s father, John, made shoes and his mother, Lucy made straw hats. Myron was an exceptionally large boy for his age and grew very fast, however; he was allotted only one pair of shoes and one hat each school year. The boys in Pine Valley loved to climb trees and hills in order to sail their straw hats. Once a coyote chased Myron up a tree, his hat flew off and the coyote ate it. He waited a long time for a new one. Myron and his brothers loved to slide down the hills in the snow. One year after losing his shoes he went barefoot all winter. Myron had calluses on his feet from outgrowing his shoes each year before summertime.10

Myron was very close to his mother and helped her to dry fruit. He did this task willingly and not just for the love of his mother but because he loved fruit so much. Myron would climb up in the loft to snitch some, and his mother always knew who stole it. The outhouse was far from the house, and Myron was the one taking all the trips. 11

On December 1, 1870 Eli Whipple in Pine Valley, Washington County, Utah, baptized Myron a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. H. Burgess confirmed Myron the same day.12 Myron advanced in the priesthood of the Church, but as he grew to a young man in his home, he faced a very strict father. When he misbehaved in church, he received a corporal punishment from his father, who hung the boys from their thumbs and whipped them in the name of discipline. Instead of his father’s punishment instilling a reverence for God in Myron, quite the opposite happened.  Myron said “because his father was so strict, it soured him on the church because he didn’t believe that his father lived it.” 13

At age 17, an experience with the spirit convinced him that the light of the Lord prevails over darkness and evil.14 He reconsidered his opinions about the Church, and answered a call to work on the St. George Temple.15 At the age of eighteen Myron left home to work on the building of the Manti Temple. Because of his large stature and strength, he was assigned to work in the quarry for the Manti Temple. 16

While Myron was in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah, he met Lurana Eleanor Forbush. Born October 11, 1858 in Manti, she was the daughter of Sanford Forbush and Mary Sophronia Gaylord. Myron won Lurana over when he came to visit. He had a horse and buggy for courting. Myron loved to sing but he didn’t like to dance because he felt he was so large. He would take Lurana to dances and sit quietly on the sides; however, he was finally caught by “a big heavy woman.” He was quite a catch as he was a very nice looking man, six feet five inches with broad shoulders, light brown hair, brown eyes, and a sincere personality. A horse kicked him in the mouth which left a scar. He always wore a mustache after this incident.17


Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Subscribe to RSS feed