At age 21, he married Lurana Eleanor Forbush on December 29, 1881, in Manti, Utah.18 She was known as “Lu.” Lurana was a tall pretty woman who loved to sing with her sisters. Her daughter, Vera said, “Mother was so clean in her housekeeping, [and] a good cook (especially cake doughnuts).19 Lurana was a good seamstress and ironed clothes beautifully for people. She loved her mother, father, and family, especially the nieces and nephews of her sisters and Myron’s brothers.22

Their first daughter, Mary Lucy, was born December 22, 1882 in Manti, Utah, named after her grandmother, Lucy Nay. Four and a half years later, Lurana Eleanor was born on May 9, 1887, also in Manti. This child was known as “Ella,” thus easily distinguishing her from her mother. The family moved to Circleville, Piute, Utah for employment in the late 1800′s, where Myron worked on a dry farm. On the 7th of December 1898, a daughter, Eva was born in Circleville, and lived only one day. Soon after, daughter Vera was born on February 5, 1900 in Circleville. 21 Myron was very patient and loving with his family. His children were never physically disciplined. Vera and Ella recalled, “He never got angry at us and was so patient. We want you grandchildren to know what a good person he was. He was frequently being challenged by other men to fight. He was so strong that he was afraid that he would badly hurt someone if he did. One day he picked a man up, and looked at him eye-to-eye and said ‘don’t make me angry because I could kill you.’ The man did not bother him again.”22

Myron was a trustee of the Lost Creek School district in 1903.  Lost Creek, in Circle Valley, was one of those tiny local schools consolidated into a single Circleville school about 1904.

In 1902, in need of more work, Myron sent his wife and three living daughters back to Manti while he went to Upper Kimberly (on the border between Sevier and Piute Counties) to try mining. He moved his family to Lower Kimberly where they rented a house that was a duplex, sharing it with another family, and eventually moving to Upper Kimberly. Myron usually wasn’t interested in belonging to or leading any social groups as he was a very soft-spoken man and had a limited education to work with; however, it was here that he served as secretary and later president of the Kimberly Woodman Lodge. His wife ironed long white tablecloths for the lodge, and she saved her money and longed to return to Manti to buy a house. 23

The mine shut down in 1908 and the family moved to Monroe, Sevier, Utah, because Myron could get work at a sawmill on Cove Mountain. Monroe was a farming community where Elmer and his family also lived. The two brothers enjoyed each other’s company and frequently worked together. Myron helped to build the Armory in Richfield. Myron and his brother Elmer, Joe Anderson, and nephew Arthur Forbush built the stone entrance gate for the Monroe City Cemetery. 24

In 1911 Lurana became ill, and the money that she had saved for a home had to be used for her medical expenses. This disappointed her as it meant that she would not be able to buy the home she had always longed for. This illness was very hard for Vera, the youngest daughter, as her sisters had married and moved away. Myron worked at the Deer Trail Mine in Marysvale, Utah from 1916 to 1918. Elmer worked with Myron at this mine part of the time. All the mining that they did was either for gold or silver. Myron was crushed in an accident and sent to Richfield to recuperate. The family lived there until Lurana died on February 22, 1919, in Richfield, Utah.25 She had been ill for so many years, and Myron had served as both mother and father to Vera.26 Lurana was buried in the Richfield City Cemetery on February 26, 1919.27

On October 9, 1921 Myron’s brother, Elmer Nay, died. He was the closest with this brother as they had similar personalities and lived in the same areas. Myron and Elmer often worked together for small wages. They never were rich in gold or silver, however; they were richly loved by their family.28 Myron considered all of his siblings as brothers and sisters not half brothers and sisters, though some were.

Myron lived with his daughter, Vera, and her family in Richfield until he married Emma W. Fredrickson on March 19, 1924.29 Emma had one son, Benjamin, who Myron loved like a son he never had.30 Myron and Emma were married at her home. They were members of the Richfield First Ward in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and it was here that Myron advanced to an elder in the Church, took out his endowments, and was sealed to Lurana on November 23, 1928 in the Manti Temple in Manti, Sanpete, Utah.

Emma had dreamed of a woman with a baby in her arms holding it out to her (Emma) begging “let me have this one please, oh, help me.” Emma told the dream to Myron’s daughters and described the woman. The description was that of Lurana. Because of this, Emma encouraged Myron to do his temple work and be sealed to Lurana. This was difficult because Myron’s priesthood records were not available to him at the time. He understood that they were lost in a fire. He had to start his advancement in the priesthood over again. He became a home teacher and a high priest.31 Myron and Emma went to the Manti Temple on November 23, 1928 to perform the temple sealing for Myron to his first wife Lurana and have Eva, their daughter that died as an infant, sealed to them.32 (Emma was sealed to her second husband, Benjamin Hainsworth.)

In his later years, Myron had time to enjoy his great grandchildren. The neighborhood children called him “Uncle Myron.” He worked on a celery farm in Draper and stayed with his daughter, Mary. He enjoyed helping people cut down their trees, and he loved to play solitaire and to read the newspaper. Vera wrote: “He sawed trees for wood and if the people did not want it, he took it for himself. He helped them get the rest hauled away or burned. He cut or saved some each day ‘just for exercise’ he said. He had logs sawed in blocks, then split them and piled them so neat. He did this until he got sick in April 1942.”33

Myron was in the county hospital in Salt Lake City for sixteen weeks with a ruptured gall bladder. His daughter, Mary died while buying tickets to board a bus to come back to Richfield from Murray on August 30, 1942.34 This came as a great shock to him, and he lived only eleven months after her death. He was so proud of his grandchildren. Myron was waiting until his birthday so Ella’s son, Deon, could come home. Deon was finishing his internship to become a doctor when he was drafted into the service in 1943. Deon didn’t have time to come to Richfield. All the reasons Myron had to fight to live disappeared, but as his health failed, the last words he spoke were, “Don’t give that shot in my right arm–that’s my wood cutting arm, and I’m going to be better soon.”35 Myron died July 30, 1943 at his daughter Vera’s home in Richfield.36


Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71

Subscribe to RSS feed