Written History of Bert N. Whitney


We started with the Grand Gulch mine on a beautiful warm day and filled the entire day traveling and poking around the many relics which have been abandoned there. The next week the day of our trip (we have always gone on Friday), was stormy and cold and the mountains all around Logandale were covered with snow, so we went anyway, probably against better judgment, our goal being the Tuweep lookout on the Colorado River, a 350 mile round trip.  We went by way of the Nay ranch through snow up over the pass then behind Bunkerville Mountain and cross country to Bundyville, up to Mt. Trumbal and on to the lookout, traveling much of the way through rain, snow, and mud up and down steep winding road.  Everyone agreed that the overlook was sensational but most, including me, questioned the sanity of the driver-guide.  It was so cold and stormy that we only spent a short time at our destination, and worst of all, it was too cold to stop and eat all the good food we had with us; we finally ate in the car. (Aunt Elsie reported to this editor that Aunt Lorraine guessed that Dad had brought something warm in the ice chest he had and she was right.  They all had warm spaghetti and hot cocoa I believe!)  We returned by a more civilized route through Colorado City with only 50 miles of dirt road before getting to the highway.

The trips after that have seemed quite tame, although there was about eight inches of snow at the Mormon Pass picnic area the week we went there.  It was a nice day though, and we had a fire and hot food.

Other shorter outings have taken us to Kaolin wash, Buena Vista lookout, Key West mine, Luke Whitney petroglyphs, and Bitter Wash loop via Buffington Pockets.  Most of our travels have been on primitive roads, with many more of the same planned.  The four wheeler has been fairly idle for awhile, but not abandoned.

Merry Christmas

October 1994 Glimpses

Last week Howard, Ellice and Lucille stayed overnight with me and we had a good visit.  They are staying busy and generally doing quite well.  Howard and I planned our next brother outing for Oct. 12.  He will attend the temple on that Tuesday and we will head for the hills the next day.

Kenneth has been doing some work on his house so I’ve had a chance to visit with him.  He is enrolled in some demanding college courses, as well as doing other work here and there.  Our “Empty Nesters” study group has started its fall schedule and so far all we have done is study and devour delicious food.  One week we had barbecued turkey breast with all the trimmings and last week there was a fillet of halibut from a 105 pound fish Glen Hardy had caught in Alaska this summer.  Needless to say it was an “all you could eat affair.”

The Tuesday mid-day temple shift on which I now work is a good change. This time of year it is still light when I get home, unless I hang around town too long.  Last Tuesday I actually took a sister temple worker to dinner at a new hotel on the Boulder Highway.  Picture this:  At the end of our temple session we each got in our own car, drove to the restaurant, walked in from the parking lot, had a real good Mexican dinner, walked back to the parking lot, got in our respective cars and drove home.  Also we have kept our dating to a minimum; this was the second in about two years.  What an example for our younger family members!

My newest toy is the best one I’ve ever had except maybe for my four wheeler.  It’s a bull-dozer (D-5 Allis Chalmers), which I play with each morning for about five hours clearing brush and trees and re-arranging the dirt and rocks and building roads on my five acre lot.  When I get the lot all prettied up I will probably put it up for sale.

I hope you all had a chance to hear the general conference talks.  As I was listening I was thinking how many of life’s heartaches are avoided by members of our family as the counsel of our leaders is heeded.  The great peace and happiness that surrounds many of you is evidence of our faith and adherence to the gospel principles.  Oh, how I love each of you!

I was only able to catch a glimpse of Beth a couple of times seated on the end of the row in the choir, but it was a thrill to see her and to hear the beautiful singing.

August 1995 Glimpses

The fourteen days I’ve been able to spend on the mountain recently have been enjoyable, but the four days when most of the family was there was best of all.  Thanks to all of you for making arrangements to be there and making things so pleasant when you were there.  I know a lot of planning and work went into our 1995 reunion and I am grateful to each of you for what you did.  We have consistently been blessed with such wonderful reunions; even the weatherman has shown love for us.  The book of history and memories you gave me is priceless; I have enjoyed reading it and looking at the collections many times.  Thanks! Thanks!  Thanks!

This past week my return trip was fun too.  I was able to do some minor repairs on the dozer and be up and running shortly after noon on the Wednesday I arrived.  From then on it was work, work, work-so enjoyable and such nice conditions to do it in.  The road from the main camp area to the top of the peak is much improved and can be negotiated much easier in the pick-up and four-wheeler, but is still no super-highway.  There has been very little rain so the soil will not compact; when it does get wet, I believe it will be much better. The area on top has been partly cleared and there is also lots of quality space up there. I was able to improve seven or eight tent sites, (some of your favorites), and so sleeping should be more on the level next time you try them or other spots.  I plan to go back on the 24th of August, stay for several days and make other improvements.  It’s a dream come true to have a place for the family to assemble an otherwise visit, and I am so grateful to Adele and McKay for being so generous with their interest.


Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Subscribe to RSS feed